What is a Minor Dwelling?

A minor dwelling is a secondary small fully functioning dwelling that can be built on the same legal title as an existing main dwelling. As the minor dwelling is on the same legal title as the main dwelling it cannot be sold individually. Minor dwellings can be rented out to additional tenants to that of the main dwelling. In Auckland a minor dwellings can be up to 65 sqm.

How long does it take to build a minor dwelling?

Our process from site assessment to Turnkey only takes around 30 weeks. A couple of weeks for site assessment and design, approximately 4 weeks for Council approval and construction should take no more than 12 weeks (subject to weather conditions)

What is the Auckland Unitary Plan?

The Auckland Unitary Plan is the next step in bringing Auckland together. Replacing the existing Regional Policy Statement and 13 district and regional plans, the Unitary Plan will determine:

  • what can be built and where
  • how to create a higher quality and more compact Auckland
  • how to provide for rural activities
  • how to maintain the marine environment
Source: Auckland Council website

What are the new Auckland Unitary Plan Zones

The 6 new residential Zones are:

H1. Residential – Large Lot Zone

H2. Residential – Rural & Coastal Settlement Zone

H3. Residential – Single House Zone

H4. Residential – Mixed Housing Suburban Zone

H5. Residential – Mixed Housing Urban Zone

H6. Residential – Terrace Housing & Apartment Building Zone

Does the Auckland Unitary Plan mention minor dwellings?

The proposal mentions the following

  • Stand-alone minor units limited to 65m2 and 5m maximum height
  • Where the minor unit is incorporated into the original household the height limit is the same as for the residential dwelling
  • No internal access permitted between the minor unit and any attached garage or accessory building
  • Allocated private open space
Source: Auckland Council website

What is a subdivision?

A Subdivision is the act of dividing land into pieces that are easier to sell or develop. Each new piece of land or section is given its own separate legal title.

Visit our Turnkey Subdivisions website for more information

What is a cross-lease?

Cross-lease is a form of shared ownership where all owners have rights and responsibilities to the title. Before any major building work can take place on a cross-lease title, owners must get their cross-lease neighbours’ permission.

What are building consents?

At the beginning of a building project building approval from the local council is required. This Building Consent allows you to carry out work on a property. Applications are usually processed within 20 working days but can take longer if more information is required

What are resource consents?

The types of Resource consent include; land use consent, subdivision consent, tree consent and regional consent. There is also certificate of compliance that gives official recognition that your activity can take place without resource consent.

A certificate of compliance is not mandatory, but it provides protection against future changes for its five-year term. This can be useful when applying for finance for your development.

What is a Code of Compliance Certificate (CCC)?

At the end of a building project the local council will issue a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC) if they are satisfied the completed building work complies with the original building consent.

Applications are usually processed within 20 working days. However, as with building consent applications, this time can take longer if your application requires additional inspections, documentation or fees.

What is a LIM report?

A Land Information Memorandum (LIM) report is a summary of the information that the council holds on a property. When you apply for a LIM report off the council it will include special land features or characteristics (including potential erosion, slippage or subsidence) private and public stormwater and sewerage drains any rates that may be owing in relation to the land information concerning building, plumbing/drainage, and resource planning consents (including notice, order or requisition affecting the land or any building) special conditions including NZ Historic Places Trust listings any information which has been notified to the council by any statutory organisation in terms of any other act network utility in relation to the Building Act 1991 or 2004, how much the rates are on the property, any special features, where the stormwater and sanitary sewer (or wastewater) drains are, and other important planning information.

Source: Auckland Council website

What is a Development Contribution Fee?

Development contributions are fees charged by the council for residential developments. This fee is for the extra community and network infrastructure required as a result of the residential development.

What is a Water Connection Fee?

All new residential developments require a new water and/or wastewater connection. For a new connection it is generally recommend applying at least six weeks in advance of the required the connection date.

What is a Power Connection Fee?

All new residential developments require a new power meter. An Electricity Retailer will install the Meter and Livens the Connection. An Installation Control Point (ICP) must be ready for the address, meters must be installed, and a Certificate of Compliance must be issued and signed by your electrician to certify that the site is electrically safe. For a new connection it is generally recommend applying at least six weeks in advance of the required the connection date. Note: You may require power for the start of the construction.